Friday, February 8, 2013

Romans 12:15 in Three Translations

Laugh with your happy friends when they are happy, share tears when they’re down. (MSG)
Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. (NIV)
Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. (NLT)


So much noise.  So much stress.  So many distractions.  So much going on all the time.  It is too easy for me to get caught up in my own life and what I have going on, but that isn’t the way life is supposed to be.  We need to share life with each other, to bear witness to what is happening in the lives of others. 

I’ve been trying to take time to do this sharing of life more often, although with craziness at work and someone in our house being sick almost every weekend so far this year, I can’t say I’ve been the best at it lately.  I did manage to get together with a childhood friend for dinner tonight.  I hadn’t seen her in a long time, and it was nice to sit and catch up. 

Even though I’m back home alone now, (the kids are staying the night with my parents) I’m taking some time to sit and share life with some people.  I can’t be with them in person at the moment, but I want to be present just the same.

Tonight I celebrate new life.  Two friends I’ve known as long as I can remember are both expecting.  One baby was a total surprise and the other longed and prayed for during years of infertility and illness.  These new babies will be delivered into welcoming arms and enormous extended families.  They will be cherished and so, so loved. 

My heart is full.

This world can be such a wonderful place.

Tonight, I'm pausing to laugh and to rejoice and to be happy with my friends who are happy.

But my eyes are also full of tears tonight.  All week that square on the calendar with the “8” in it has been catching my attention and causing a lump to rise in my throat.  February 8th.  Six months since beautiful Zeke’s accident.  Six months that his family has been missing him.  It is so unbelievably wrong and I think of them and pray for them continually, despite that I know nothing changes what their reality is now or what they feel.

My heart weeps.

And I’m pausing tonight to share tears and to mourn and to let my heart weep with those who weep.

Tonight I’m keeping extra space in my heart for others.

Tonight I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment