Thursday, July 23, 2009

Reminders

My email application at work has reminders that pop up to remind me of things on my calendar like meetings, calls, and tasks to complete. When I'm working on something else and something is on my calendar 15 minutes out, a little box pops up saying what is coming up, at what time it starts, and the location or call-in number. Although it's annoying, it's good because it helps prevent me from missing a meeting or forgetting something for which I'm responsible. Some people can keep everything they have going on and everything they should be thinking about all neatly organized in their head. I am not one of those people. I need reminders.

Sometimes I need non-email reminders about things I haven't thought about in a long time. I tend to get really preoccupied at times and forget about things I already know. I feel like I've had so much going on lately -- all this stuff about my writing and my faith and the way I communicate and work. And then I start getting really dissatisfied with myself that I am juggling too many things that take up too much space in my head and I can't seem to concentrate and focus on one thing. I was driving to work today and I got a reminder. A reminder that while I should still wrestle with all my questions and try to figure out where I'm going and what I'm doing, it's not about where I work or what I wear or if I can even put together a coherent sentence. There are more important things. I can deal.... probably even with being an office-worker posuer for a while longer... as long as I don't lose sight of what really matters.

PS. My reminder was part of the song 'Let Me Love You More' By Misty Edwards

If I never walk on water,
If I never see the miracles.
If I never hear your voice so loud.
Just knowing that You love me
is enough to keep me here.
Just hearing
those words
Is enough is enough to satisfy...

'Cause when it's been said
and when it's all been done.
When the race is run.
Well, it all comes to love.

1 comment: