Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Resolution of Sorts


I know I’m doing the One Word thing this year, but I realized something yesterday and I need to write it down.  I’m pretending that if I know that other people know about it, I’ll hold myself to it because I don’t want to be embarrassed if they ask me and I haven’t followed through.

At various points over the past couple months, I started reading one of eight different books and then stopped.  Eight.  I know working through multiple books at once is probably not unusual at all for scholarly types or hard-core bookworms, but I am usually a one-book-at-a-time person.  If I’m reading something weightier, I will sometimes read some fiction or a lighthearted memoir in conjunction for a break, but eight books?  That’s ridiculous.  For me, anyway.

These are the books I've started:

Bird by Bird – Anne Lamott
Right Here, Right Now – Alan Hirsch and Lance Ford
Home: A Memoir of my Early Years – Julie Andrews
Life of Pi –  Yann Martel
Bossypants – Tina Fey
Life Together – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Gospel Medicine – Barbara Brown Taylor
Home by Another Way – Barbara Brown Taylor

My resolution is this:  I will finish at least six of the above listed books before I start any other books. Other than Gospel Medicine, I have not read more than one-third of any of them.  I have no reason or excuse, I just got distracted and didn't realize that my reading queue was so out of control.

Now I've written it down and now I have to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment