Wednesday, March 18, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things...

So, my dad does this thing where, when he really enjoys something, he says "Now that is one of life's little pleasures." These are things like: An ice-cold Pepsi on a hot day. Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie. Schwan's vanilla ice cream. Fishing.
My dad works very hard. I think he's the hardest worker I know and he takes great pride in his work. He works for a contractor and is considered self-employed. He doesn't have a nice, relaxing retirement to look forward to. But he has his priorities straight and takes time to appreciate the small things in life that make the days a little better. In the spirit of this, I'm making a list of my favorite things to remind myself of the little things that make me happy.

Summer. I LOVE summer. I know a lot of people hate it when it is hot and humid, but I love knowing I can go outside in a tank-top and flip-flops and not be cold.

Dresses. This goes with my love of summer, as I hate to be cold and can really only wear dresses if it is 75 or warmer. I think dresses are great. You put on a dress, grab some matching shoes and you look great. I always feel so pretty and girly when I'm wearing a dress. Not that I am pretty and girly, but dresses make me feel like I am, which is kind of nice.

Chapstick brand Lip Moisturizer. I always have this with me. It's the best stuff ever.

A really great cup of coffee. Ah.... how could I live without coffee? I drink it every day, but I especially savor the times when I have a really good, hot cup and time to enjoy every sip.

Owen Talking. I love that Owen (my 2-year-old) can talk now so that I can hear he and Luke (my 3-and-a-half year old) interact with each other. Right now they do this thing when they see each other, even if they've only been apart for a few minutes, where they say hi back and forth. "Oh, Hi Owen" "Hi Yuke" or "Hi Yuke." "Hi Owen" Very 'Oh, fancy meeting you here.' It's the best and makes me smile every time.

Finding just the right word. I write poetry... or at least attempt to. I love it when I'm working on something and I find the word that makes the whole piece work.

Well, I said a few of my favorite things, and I think that counts as 'a few'. when the mood strikes me I might have more to add, but I think this is a good start.