Monday, January 25, 2010

Please Come Back

I know I promised no more posts complaining about the weather. So this is a post about my longing for Summer. I miss wearing dresses and heels to work. I miss wearing knit dresses and flip-flops at home. I miss the long evenings where we can play outside with the boys after dinner. I miss taking walks. I miss feeling the grass on my bare feet. I miss open windows.

I miss Summer so much that it is almost physically painful. I sit at my desk and wish for the sun reflecting off the side of the building behind me to illuminate my cube. I sit at our dining room table and look at the trees behind the house and wish they were green with leaves.

I have lived in the Midwest all my life. When I was younger, there were fun things to look forward to about each season. The more time that passes, the more I love Summer. I also love the end of Spring and the beginning of Fall, when the weather is Summer-like. There is that old cliche' about absence making the heart grow fonder. In this case, I can assure you I would be much more fond of Summer if it didn't stay away so long.

2 comments:

  1. I live in Florida so for the majority of the year, it is Summer here. For about two weeks straight, the temperature went down to freezing which is just about unheard of. This week, I'm able to open the windows and smell the fresh air. I hope it lasts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's for this very reason that Titus wants to move to North Carolina more than anything!

    ReplyDelete