Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Addiction

Addictions do come in handy sometimes: at least you have to get out of bed for them. ~Martin Amis


Not that I've really spent a lot of time thinking about it, but I've always considered myself a drug-free person. I have friends who smoke, but the habit has never appealed to me. I've never tried any kind of illegal drugs because it honestly never appealed to me. There was never a case of 'I was SO tempted and managed to resist'. I never wanted to try it so I didn't. The reason I'm bringing this up is because I did some silly note thing on Facebook the other day and one of the questions was something about what is essential for you to start the day. Of course, my first thought was coffee. I love coffee and I drink it every day. Then I was thinking about how caffeine is really a drug.... and.... yeah....

According to Wikipedia, "Caffeine is the world's most widely consumed psychoactive substance, but unlike many other psychoactive substances it is legal and unregulated in nearly all jurisdictions." So not only am I not drug-free, but I am addicted to the most commonly used drug on the planet. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's bad enough to be chemically dependent. It seems even worse to me knowing that my addiction is so incredibly popular.

But, yeah. I am addicted. I must have at least 2 cups of coffee in the morning. And, due to my weekend insomniac status and my often interrupted sleep during the week, I'm usually dragging in the afternoon and need to have some tea or more coffee or other form of caffeine to prevent me from sleeping at my desk. I have absolutely no point here. I'm not planning to quit. I guess I just felt like blogging about my new awareness that I'm a drug addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment