Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Grasping at Straws

There lurks, perhaps, in every human heart a desire of distinction, which inclines every man first to hope, and then to believe, that Nature has given him something peculiar to himself.
- Samuel Johnson

My middle sister is an amazingly gifted photographer and artist. I am completely in awe of her and her ability to capture people on film (well, it's all digital now, but I like the way the whole 'film' thing sounds). My youngest sister has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. I once heard her sing The Star Spangled Banner a cappella at a sporting event and I couldn't stop from tearing up that my baby sister was standing in front of all those people with all that confidence and belting it out in that unbelievable voice of hers. For people like that, with such obvious talent, I can't imagine it is difficult to believe they have been given something peculiar to themselves. For people like me, well, not so much.

Growing up with such talented sisters, one might think that I would resent them for being so amazing and me not being amazing, but I don't. I think they are great and I am honestly happy for them and glad that I can enjoy their talents. But I do think that me not having any obvious talent has made me often wonder what I have that is peculiar to me. I'm totally not trying to get anyone to tell me that they think I'm good at something. I am not fishing for compliments. This is just something I've been thinking about lately. Plus, I'm super old now so I don't have a lot of time left to figure it all out. ;)

So... in all this I've been thinking about if I could come up with something to claim as a talent. Writing is the only thing I've ever considered myself to be remotely decent at. I'm not saying I think I'm a talented writer, but I don't suck at it (in my own opinion) and working on this blog I've come to realize that I really enjoy it. So I guess that even if I'm not really great at it, then it's okay for me to claim it as a talent if I can do it and I really like it? Well... maybe not a talent, but a hobby at least?

Anyway, I love that quote at the beginning of this post and I think it has given me some proverbial food for thought. I don't know that this post is really any better than yesterday's, but it is more random and rambling so... well.... that's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment